Thursday, August 28, 2014

LuxRender

Hey Everyone,

So the Reality/LuxRender plugin for Daz was super cheap, at only $40. I did some background research and thought the low price was worth it, even for just experimenting.

Now that I've had a chance to play around with it I can definitely say that it's a step up from Daz's own render engine, but the difference in render time is huge! A normal high-res image in Daz finishes in ~30 minutes for me. In LuxRender it could take me all night.

However, the major positive is that LuxRender's progress can be saved and picked up again at a later point AND it seems to be a little bit lighter on the CPU load while working. Overall, I'd say that Lux might not be up to the task of rendering entire sets, but it would be nice to go back and do the most popular images from time to time.

I know that Octane renders much quicker but it's price is still a bit outside what I'm willing to spend. Something to work towards in the future.

Until then, here's one of my test renders. Just two lights and only a few minutes of rendering so it's still a bit fuzzy, but check it out anyway:


No comments:

Post a Comment